Ivy Kids Kit - Over on a DesertLearn. Play. Create.
Sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock.
Sign up to our newsletter to know when this kit is available for purchase.
If you love our products consider purchasing a Subscription Plan and never miss another Ivy Kit again.
In this kit featuring the beautifully illustrated book Over on a Desert by Marianne Berkes you will find:
- The book Over on a Desert by Marianne Berkes introduces children to deserts all over the world and the animals that live there.
- Read along Bookmark: Use to assist with reading comprehension.
- Fennec Fox Plush: One of the desert animals featured in this story is the Fennec Fox. Children will love to cuddle this super soft plush Fennec Fox as well as learn all about its special adaptations to desert life.
- Barrel Cactus: Create a barrel cactus by inserting toothpicks all around the Styrofoam ball. Then conduct experiments to determine why cacti have spines.
- Desert Lizard: Many different types of lizards live in the desert. Use the paints to decorate your own desert lizard made of wood.
- Pattern Snakes: Many different types of snakes live in the desert. String the colorful beads onto the pipe cleaner, repeating the colored beads to create a pattern.
- Paper Stand-up Figures: The desert is home to many animals and plants such as the camel, fennec fox, desert tortoise, Gila monster, and the Saguaro cactus. Cut-out and paint the pictures to create paper stand-up figures to use as scenery for your desert habitat.
- Create Your Own Desert Habitat: Pour some sand in the tray and then add the wooden lizard, pattern snake, barrel cactus, paper stand-ups, and/or plastic lizards in and around the tray create a realistic desert habitat.
- Over on a Desert – Board Game: Players take turns rolling the die and moving their lizards along the path. The spaces on the board are in alphabetical order and the picture on each space begins with the corresponding letter sound.The player whose lizard reaches the “finish” first wins the game.
- Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit Picking: Spread the cactus fruit (pom-poms) on the board. Each player collects the number of fruit rolled on the die. The game continues until all the fruit have been picked. The player to collect the most fruit wins the game.
- How Many Cactus Fruit?: Create your own addition and/or subtraction number stories about the prickly pear cactus and its fruit.
- Deserts All Around the World: Use your globe to find the continent where each of the deserts mentioned in the book is located.
- If I Lived in the Desert…: After learning interesting facts about the desert, draw a picture of a desert on the space provided on the board and then answer different questions about the desert.
- Desert or Non-Desert: Flip over one card at a time and decide whether it belongs on the “desert” side or the “non-desert” side. Continue playing until you have sorted all the cards.
- How do Animals Survive in the Desert?: Animals in the desert find different ways to escape the heat of the desert such as burrowing underground, sitting in the shade, and/or being nocturnal. Use your thermometer to conduct several experiment that prove that the temperature underground, in the shade, and at night is lower than being out in direct sunlight.
- How do Cacti Preserve Water?: A cactus has a thick, waxy stem that is capable of storing water. In this experiment, you will test how a “waxy” covering helps a cactus preserve water by preventing water loss.