Ivy Kids Subscription KitSign Up Now
In August's Ivy Kids kit featuring the award winning book The Rainforest Grew All Around by Susan K. Mitchell, you will find:
- The book The Rainforest Grew All Around by Susan K. Mitchell, is a beautifully illustrated story that introduces readers to the rainforest and is fun to sing out loud!
- Read along Bookmark: Use to assist with reading comprehension.
- Rainforest Animals: Included in this month's kit is a collection of unique rainforest animals.
- Rainforest Animal Matching: Match each rainforest animal figure with the card displaying the animal’s picture and name.
- Wooden Snake: Use the paints to decorate your flexible wooden snake and use the included snake figures as models.
- Sounds of the Rainforest: Use the materials provided to create a rainstick, which is a musical instrument that sounds like falling water.
- Layers of the Rainforest: Place animal stickers on each layer of the rainforest board. Use the rainforest fact board to help you identify the animals that live in each layer.
- Rainforest Animal Scratch Art: Scratch off the colored coating on each rainforest animal to create colorful body parts and decorations on each animal.
- Kapok Pod Observation and Exploration: Included in this month’s kit is a pod from a real kapok tree that grows in the rainforest. Use your senses to explore the pod and record your observations.
- Inside a Kapok Pod: Hit the pod against a hard edge and crack it open. Observe and explore the inside of the pod and record your observations on the sheet provided.
- Planting a Kapok Tree in a Terrarium: Plant real kapok tree seeds in a terrarium to mimic the humid rainforest environment.
- Rainforest Animal Bingo: Cover all the rainforest animals on your board to win the game.
- Snakes and Vines: In this board game, players race their frog pawns up the kapok tree. Use vines for a short-cut but watch out for the snakes. The first player to reach the bromeliad plant wins the game.
- Bromeliad Jump: Push down on the frog to make it jump onto one of the numbered bromeliad plants. Keep score of the numbers your frog lands on.
- The Rainforest Grew All Around Story Retelling: Sequence the cards in the same order as the events happened in the story and then retell the story.
- Rainforest Diorama: Turn your Ivy Kids box into a rainforest. Create a rainforest scene inside the box with the rocks, leaves, twigs, and rainforest animals. Let your imagination run wild!
Your Kit includes a guide for each activity to help promote your child’s learning while you play together.
At Ivy Kids, we know that every child is unique. In your guide, you will find tips to
modify each game based on the age and development of your child.